01 January 2008

Musings of a BDSM scientist, educator, and someone who's been around for a while (a.k.a., "Ol' Fart")

I love it when two of my interests intersect. So, why not the intersection of science and BDSM?

It's not all far fetched. There are certainly play techniques such as Electrical Play, Fire Play, Spice Play, usv, usv that could benefit from the understanding and investigation of the physical principles that underlay the play. I know for others, it may not be sexy, but for me it's just as exciting as ...say... flogging some young lovely.

E-Play is one example of this--as you can see in such things as the experiments I feature in my website. But there are times when I think I am alone in this. (Not really, but it certainly seems so from time to time.) So besides sharing experiments, thoughts, and researches, I will also share the journey I undergo in following my drummer: the ups, the downs, the joys, the disappointments ...whatever. Who knows? Maybe this will encourage some, and bring others from their "geek closet."

And over the years, I've had many wonderful opportunities to share some of my knowledge with others (see Unc's Schedule). I go back to the days when to actually go to an 'out-of-your-locality' event was little heard of, but to actually be invited by such an event to present was a rarity indeed. I think I commented at the time that, "...it may be the start of an S/M 'Rubber Chicken Circuit' ". Little did I realize then that such things would not only be commonplace, but it would produce 'stars' such as Midori, Fifth Angel, and others. While I don't yet lay claim to such stardom (although truth be told that to my wicked delight some people would disagree) I don't yet have such a killer schedule that I identify my domicile as 'seat 21D on the red-eye to Dallas'. Nonetheless, over these many years I've developed some impressions, thoughts, helpful hints, and kevetches of being a nationally known presenter. And some may benefit in my sharing these also.

And you may have noticed my continued use of the phrase "for a long time". Well, that refers to the fact(oid) that I've been "in the scene"--i.e., start of my Society of Janus membership since 1980. Actually--like many of us--I've had the fantasies and did play experimentation much earlier, but lets just say for sake of argument that I started in 1980. Interestingly enough, I have BDSM contemporaries that have more years of seniority than I, but who are younger in age than me (lucky swine -- but I say that in a loving way). And like others of my age and seniority, I'm not immune from the "... why in MY day..." disease(?). Fortunately I like allying myself with the younger and less experienced members of the Community PLUS I have this uncanny memory of when I was that young and inexperienced that I actually think my observations and thoughts might be useful, interesting, or at least amusing. And NO wisecracks from you young whippersnappers... Why in MY day...

So, to these three ends, I dedicate this my blog. Gawd help us all!

1 comment:

Kyle Machulis said...

Unc! Good to see you've got a blog going. Can't wait to read your new stuff, and I'll make sure I've got at least a single tail + 5ft head start before making any snide comments. :D

qDot
http://www.slashdong.org